|Uses for the Calming Cap
- Dogs that bark explosively when visually stimulated (e.g. traveling in vehicles) are excellent candidates for the cap. The fabric window filters the dog's vision, without completely eliminating it. Most dogs learn to settle down and go to sleep while wearing the cap on car trips.
- Fearful dogs benefit from wearing the Calming Cap in uncomfortable situations, such as the vet's office or on the groomer's table. Those shots and nail clippers will be less visible and therefore less scary!
- Dogs that suffer from separation anxiety can benefit from wearing the cap in the presence of his owner. In conjunction with a behavior modification program, wearing the Calming Cap allows the dog to get accustomed to a diminished view of his owner while still sensing that the owner is present.
- Under the supervision of a qualified behaviorist, and as part of a comprehensive behavior modification program, the Calming Cap can be a very effective tool in working with aggression problems.
Introduce Your Pet to the Calming Cap
Introduce the cap to your dog slowly and with pleasant associations. As you begin to fit the cap, give your dog a favorite treat. Calmly slip the cap on while praising your dog continuously. Give a treat while the cap is on, and then stop treats as you take the cap off.
During the acclimation period, we recommend putting the Cap on your dog for no more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time. Do this several times within a span of 30 minutes. Gradually increase the time your dog wears the cap until he no longer paws at the cap.
Discourage any attempts to paw or rub at the CalmingCap by introducing a high level of distraction such as a bone or another yummy treat.
Fitting the Calming Cap
The Calming Cap is designed to help reduce your dog's anxiety level in stressful situations. Sometimes, the situation may require professional support. We recommend talking with your vet, behaviourist or a qualified trainer who may provide additional assistance in reducing your dog's anxious behaviour.
- Open the short adjustable strap and slide the ring off. Slip the ring and lower collar connectors down between your dog's neck and his collar. Firmly fasten the ring back onto the strap.
- Guide the lower collar connectors directly under your dog's jaw.
- Slip the elastic portion of the Cap over your dog's muzzle.
- Pull the long section of the Cap up over your dog's head to the back of his neck. Give your dog a treat while praising him.
- Open the long adjustable strap and slip it under the collar at the back of the neck. Firmly secure the strap.
- The Calming Cap should fit snugly, but not tightly over your dog's face. The fabric window should be positioned over your dog's eyes.